Monday, February 25, 2019

What Comes after Graduation - A Conversation with Dr. Jill Rappoport


by Barbara Olivis

            Thinking about life after college can be strenuous. A lot of college students go through feelings of fear upon reentering society and doing what many of us students would call “adulting.” Whether you are afraid that you won’t get into the graduate program that you desperately want to go to, or whether or not you’ll be able to get a job in your career, it is important to know that there are options out there for everyone.
Dr. Jill Rappoport
            Over this past weekend, I had a conversation with Dr. Jill Rappoport, the Director of Graduate Studies at the University of Kentucky. She gave me advice of life beyond college. “Do not go to graduate school unless you can get someone who is willing to pay for you to go,” Rappoport says. 
She went on to inform me that The University of Kentucky has a MFA program that invests in all of their students’ education. I was surprised to learn that there were programs that are willing to invest in graduate students because I was under the impression that all of the scholarship money in college was concentrated in undergraduate programs.
            I was intrigued to learn of all of the possible careers that I could explore after I graduated. “A lot of our students go on to become teachers, do editorial work, presses, digital initiatives, public activism, and of course become writers,” Rappoport says. I was surprised to hear the wide variants within the different careers because I always think of something writing related when I imagine jobs within the humanities.
            I also learned more about what graduate programs look for in their application processes. Many colleges require you to take the GRE General Test, but in the humanities it does not have a large impact in the decision to deny or admit you into their programs. For those who do not know the GRE General Test is a $205 test that is given to test undergraduate students on their ability to do verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing.  Rapport emphasized the fact that more weight is placed upon personal statements and your transcript grades in the humanities.
            I was very happy with the information that I received from the faculty of the University of Kentucky. Thanks to Dr. Jill Rappoport, I will be applying to the University of Kentucky’s MFA Program, and I have a much clearer understanding of the graduate application process.

To learn more about UK’s MFA program, click here: UK Master's of Fine Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment