Monday, October 29, 2018

Push for Diversity in Graduate School Programs


My Visit to Virginia Tech
By Lynne Barras
   On October 14th and 15th, I had the pleasure of being one of three English majors representing TSU at Virginia Tech’s third annual HBCU/MSI Research Summit. I was joined by India Hunter, English major and De’ Ja Gooch, English/ History double major. The summit caters to students of HBCUs and Minority Serving Institutes (MSI) in an effort to attract more diverse and qualified students to their graduate programs. In addition to introducing us to the students and teachers of their various programs, Virginia Tech provided us with housing and meals free of charge. Overall, I found the program informative, particularly the session devoted to helping us learn about the school’s application process. I also felt that the staff and faculty were excited to have us there and even more eager to see us apply.
   However, I am sad to say that we were some of the only students representing any liberal arts majors. As a result, we felt as though we saw less of what the university had to offer us as English majors, and the affair felt less organized on our end. On the upside, I did get the opportunity to connect with Dr. Gena Chandler-Smith, who serves as director of the Masters of English department and offered to put me in touch with the head of the MFA program. Regardless of the little bumps, the experience was wonderful. I encourage students and teachers to be on the lookout for more chances to do the same at other schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment